This is a recipe I’ve been tweaking for a while, and I’m really happy with how it turned out! Everyone loves our Berry, Apples + Spinach Veggie-Go’s, so I took the hint and made this recipe with all the yummy berries that we use; strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries! I love whipping these up on Saturday mornings, or for a big crowd on holidays or family gatherings. The recipe is easy to double or triple, and covers lots of specific dietary restrictions so it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser. These pancakes are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and can be made nut free with your favorite non-dairy milk. Plus the berries are bursting with antioxidants!
Very Berry Pancakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 12 pancakes
- ¾ cup GF all purpose flour
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ Tbs flax meal
- ½ cup applesauce (or mashed banana)
- ¾ cup nut milk of choice
- 3 Tbs Maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh berries of choice
- Cooking oil or spray
- Make a flax ‘egg’ by combining ¼ cup of nut milk with flax meal in a small bowl or measuring cup, and let sit while you combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Combine gluten free flour, oat flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
- In another medium bowl, combine applesauce, nut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the flax ‘egg.’ With a spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, adding the berries as you mix.
- Heat a non-stick griddle over medium heat with a thin coat of cooking spray or oil. Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter onto griddle. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
Kids love to be helpers on this recipe, too. I usually man the griddle but enlist the kiddos for help measuring and mixing! (And sneaking bites of berries, of course)